It takes more than just knowledge and skill to earn the CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep credential. It also takes a commitment to treating people the right way. All CSIA Certified professionals are held to the highest of ethical standards and before receiving their badge each candidate must agree to and sign the following:
I fully acknowledge that certification by the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) carries with it certain responsibilities and obligations which may hold me to a higher standard of performance and professional behavior than applicable laws, rules or regulations. In this regard, I pledge:
- To learn and utilize all chimney and venting safety practices and techniques that are promoted by CSIA.
- To render my services in an honest and fair manner and to refrain from engaging in unfair or deceptive practices or making any unfair or deceptive statements including but not limited to with regard to use of the CSIA logos.
- To comply with all applicable building codes in the areas I service, with the manufacturer’s installation instructions for the products I install, and with recognized chimney and venting practices.
- To promote and educate consumers about safe chimney and venting practices.
- To strive to continually update my knowledge, skills, and technique with regard to currently accepted chimney and venting safety practices.
- To conduct myself in a decent, respectful, and professional manner when serving in my capacity as a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep or CSIA Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician, or when attending a function or event of an organization in the chimney or hearth products industry.
- To comply with the proper usage of all CSIA Registered Trademarks as defined in the CSIA Trademark Use Guidelines documents.
I agree to accept and abide by the CSIA Code of Ethics as a standard in rendering services as a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep or CSIA Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician. By agreeing to this Code of Ethics, I understand that it is my responsibility to remain abreast of any changes to the Code of Ethics, that my actions may be reviewed by a committee of my peers, and that failure to abide by these ethical obligations is a violation of CSIA policy and, in accordance with the CSIA Code of Ethics Violation Procedure, may result in disciplinary action by the CSIA or its delegated committee. I agree to hold harmless CSIA and its committees from any and all liability resulting from any disciplinary action taken against me.