We were amazed to read about an unusual discovery stuck inside of a fireplace in Wales: A girl’s letter to Father Christmas that lay undiscovered for almost a century!
The Mirror of London [view the article here] reports that it was found at a girls’ boarding school.
That got us to thinking. It’s been an interesting winter burning season for items in the chimney. In December we were also attracted to a social media post offered up by Central Fire Station in Leicester, England. It was a chimney fire caused by a scrunched up newspaper shoved between what they called the “fire surround” and the wall.
Here’s another courtesy of CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep Lou Curley, of Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, who posted an image from a customer’s home. He writes: “This was causing a smoking problem, a Disney Princess balloon 40′ up the flue…”
Last but not least on the list of things that have gotten stuck in the chimney recently: In May Valley, Washington, a “Santa cat,” according to KOMO News.
There are many reasons why items (as opposed to animals) get stuck in the chimney, but most common is that someone thought they could block cold air from coming from the outside. There might have been a missing damper. All kinds of reasons.
One of the Chimney Safety Institute of America’s nearly 1,500 CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps can help determine if there’s any type of blockage during an annual inspection.
Look for one using our free zip-code locator at CSIA.org/search.