It was not all that long ago at this site when we had to vent about the dangers of clothes dryers.
We followed the danger warnings with our CSIA Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician’s safety tips, but it’s become clear in recent weeks that many still don’t understand the importance of dryer vent maintenance.
Revealed by the tracking tools we use to keep up with industry news and trends, this month was plagued by a troubling streak of dryer fires, and we hope these real life stories drive home our safety message.
The most serious story came from Savannah, GA, where the Savannah Morning News reported that two girls, ages 6 and 13, were sent to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at their local hospital on July 14 after a fire started in their home’s dryer and quickly spread to consume large portions of the house.
Just two days later, a California apartment building dryer vent sparked a three-alarm fire. While there were no injuries, as many as 10 people living in six apartment units were displaced by the flames
Within days of these events, we tracked at least three other dryer vent fires:
- A mobile home was heavily damaged in Branson, MO, after the dryer caught fire (see the photo with this post for a look at the damage to the laundry room).
- A dryer lint screen in a New Jersey home was the cause of a fire that also destroyed the laundry room there.
- To the north, in Ontario, Canada, a dryer with no ventilation started the flames that destroyed a farmhouse, and a photo at the article page shows how serious the fire became.
We aren’t aiming to be alarmist in sharing these news items with you.
We simply want to help break the cycle of thinking that a dryer vent fire can’t happen to you. Because, it’s likely that the victims in all of these cases never believed a dryer vent fire could happen to them.
While the news shows dryer vent fires are an ongoing threat, you can reduce your risk with annual inspections of your systems by a CSIA Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician.