With temperatures soaring this summer, a clean chimney is probably the last thing on your mind. But it’s actually one of the best times to schedule your chimney inspection to make sure you’re ready to face those fall and winter temps head-on.
At the Chimney Safety Institute of America, we strongly recommend an annual chimney inspection. That being said, we don’t recommend you take on the task yourself unless you’re prepared with the latest local and national structural requirements and up-to-date industry knowledge and the specialized inspection equipment to do the job…
Enter the professional chimney sweep.
But how do you go about hiring one? We’ve put together a few steps to consider when deciding which chimney sweep will perform your annual inspection (or another service on your chimney or dryer vent). Keep in mind: Proper care and attention to service can help protect you and your family from unnecessary fires and carbon monoxide poisonings, so it’s really important to choose your chimney pro wisely.
Of course, we’re partial to hiring a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep® – but whoever you interview, make sure you ask these vital questions to deem the technician’s credibility:
- How long has the chimney sweeping company been in business?
- Does the company offer current references?
- Does the company have unresolved complaints filed within the city or state consumer protection agency or Better Business Bureau?
- Does the company or individual carry a valid business liability insurance policy to protect your home and furnishings against accidents?
- Does the company ensure that a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep will be on the job site?
To locate a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep near you, use our handy locator tool.